You're A Natural...

 



Women hear that a lot when it comes to kids, particulary babies.  You're holding your friend's newborn and it's not screaming so "you're a natural".  You soothe your own baby to sleep and "you're a natural".  Sometimes though, sometimes you don't feel like a natural when you become a mum and sometimes you know yourself well enough to understand that actually, you're not a natural at all.

I genuinely don't feel that I'm a natural, I have to work hard every day at this and sometimes (in fact, pretty frequently) I get it wrong.  I don't always know what to do and I certainly don't wake up every morning feeling enthused about what the day has instore.

So if I was to say anything to a new mum it would be, don't feel like you have to enjoy every moment because every moment isn't always enjoyable.  There'll be dark days, lonely days, emotional days and these days are what they are.  Just know that along with the darker days there are the sunnier ones, real glaringly bright and wonderful ones - days of utter, unrelenting joy.

So yeah, motherhood is the hardest job I have ever had - totally underpaid - but it's the most important one I'll ever have too and I'm beyond grateful to have it.

SR x

 

Comments