Our Guide to Choosing Childcare

 

It doesn't matter how old your child is or why you've decided to enrol them into nursery or any other childcare, it's still a huge decision and something we put so much pressure on ourselves for. 

Ben was six months old when he went into nursery and the day I left him there was one of the hardest I've ever had.  My little baby, first born, apple of my eye, is going to be out of my sight for a whole day and he's going to be looked after by people I didn't know.  I cried.  Of course I cried.  Tears started to fall as soon as I turned my back and kept rolling down my cheeks as I drove to work. 

"Will he cry because I'm not there?"

"Will he eat ok?"

"Will he feel comforted by the nursery workers?"

"Will he like playing with the other children?"

Deep down though I knew he'd be ok, we were so pleased with the nursery we found and the team that worked there I didn't have any real concerns other than the normal anxiety about being seperated from him. 


We'd done a huge amount of research and felt 100% comfortable we'd chosen the right place.  So I thought I'd write down my thoughts on what's important on choosing a nursery for your little one - remember you have options, lot's of them!

1.  Ask other parents in the area

If you have friends locally who have kids or are part of any local forums etc then just ask for recommendations.  Keep in mind every child/family is different but it will give you a good idea about what settings are around, what makes them different from others and the chances of lengthy waiting lists too!

2.  Visit as many as possible

When you have your shortlist go and visit them and take your little one with you.  Go armed with some questions such as what food they offer, what are the settling in days like, first aid training and more.  Look to see how staff engage with the children there and what the security is like.  

3.  Trust your instincts

I remember walking into one nursery that had been highly recommended and I just didn't like it.  It didn't feel right for Ben and that's all I needed to know - I'm sure the staff are great with the kids there and love their jobs, there were no obvious red flags, it just wasn't the right place for us.   

4.  Be Calm

On the day you leave them for the first time try and stay calm, especially if your little one is anxious and doesn't want you to leave.  You can call the nursery as much as you like to check on them and 9/10 your little one will settle really quickly and be distracted with all the cool new toys and be basking in the undivided attention from their key worker.  You're a great parent for giving them this opportunity not a selfish one. (disclaimer:  you're also a great parent if you don't send your kids to nursery etc, we're all bloody fabulous and should do what works for us and our families)

5.  Pack what you need the night before

You've got enough to do in the mornings, get everything ready the night before.  Read our Checklist on what to pack so you can feel prepared for the big day!

Remember, all nurseries are regulated by Ofsted so you're able to check the latest reports here:  https://reports.ofsted.gov.uk/ 



Comments